For discussion Monday July 28, 2014
If you have not seen Talk Radio you can borrow the DVD from me.
Please answer the following questions.
1. Barry Champlain’s slogan is ‘the man you love to love.’ Is this an accurate description of how people view him? Why? Give some examples.
2. “You’re throwing me some real curve balls,” says Barry to his co-producer Stu at one point. Why does he say this? How important are the two producers in his radio show. Why? Give some examples.
3. Why do you think Barry rang his ex-wife and asked her to come to Dallas? What does it show about him?
4. When Barry begins his career as a guest on Jeff’s program he is told his behaviour is unacceptable because Jeff might lose his licence. What does Jeff mean by this?
5. The manager, Kent and Stu all say to Barry, “It’s just a show.” Is it just a show?
6. When Barry takes a call from a self-confessed rapist what is the result? What does he try to do to stop this man? What does it say about his power?
7. Many people comment on the fact that Barry is ‘funny.’ Can you explain what they mean and why they say this? Is he funny? Does he think he is funny?
8. “The show must have some role,” says Barry towards the end. Does it?
9. Barry says to his audience, “I guess we’re stuck with each other.” Can you explain what he means by this?
10. Can you think of any local examples of talk show hosts who have a similar style?
11. What is your opinion of the film? Did you learn anything about radio or about the relationship between the broadcaster and the audience?