Radio Self-Evaluation: Luke/Dan/Stacey/Jason/Kate
Jason filled in for Kate on panel who couldn’t make it because she was in hospital. Jason started the show without warning anyone else hence why the theme tune stops and there is about 2 seconds of dead air. Daniel was shaky at the start of the intro.
The banter between the hosts was good and natural and the commercials fit in nicely. The hosts interjection in the review helped liven up a detailed, long review. The use of the ads broke up the show and added some flavour.
Stacey’s review was good, it was shorter than Jason’s but was energetic, lively and she gave a score. Overall we are happy with the show but Jason and Kate need to give more input into the show because they did very little.
Radio review: All seasons
Marcus mic is to low cannot hear him during the intro over the music. Marcus needs to move closer to the microphone. 3 hosts is to much they seem to talk over each other. Transition is a bit slow. The story was good. Dan seems really uncomfortable and awkward. Dan and Marcus sound really bored and its boring us listeners but Armando sounds energetic.
The talking segments are long they really need to separate them with some music to help with the boring tones. Dan shouldn’t do a voice when coming back from a song.
Marcus was talking about his pick to win then stopped and started talking about a different game. Marcus uses soccer terminology, which is difficult to follow when you aren’t a soccer fan. Marcus contradicts himself by saying he said Germany would win the entire world cup, then he didn’t know who would win and then he picked Argentina to win. Dan speaks over Marcus and Armando. Dan is lost during the world cup talk because he isn’t interested. Marcus moved closer to the mic during the world cup talk but then moves away from it again.
This show needs a lot of improvement, it is clear they were not prepared for this show at all because not all of them were interested and its seems like Armando was the only one who did any planning. We don’t know why no one said to Marcus move closer to the mic and stay close to it
SELF-EVALUATION: Jack & Ben, Ellen (Producer) & Jade (Panel)
Having listened back to the show, we were pleasantly surprised and we think it sounded better than imagined. After hearing Brian’s feedback, we were anxious to hear the show.
The introduction was energetic and upbeat. I think, overall the first segment went well, Jack stumbled a couple of times but the segment was one of the better ones because it was fast and kept listeners engaged, oppose to dragging on.
- Overall paneling was good, a couple of mistakes, good timing when leading into and out of songs.
- Production was good with the use of sound grabs etc.
- Jack’s raves were relevant and topical
- Ben’s stories were funny, at times dragged on and could’ve been told in a shorter duration
- Game concept was a good idea in theory, some of us think it worked (Jack & Ben) others didn’t.
- Show had a really great commercial feel too it and was definitely the best compared to the others
- Callers were funny and worked well
- When back announcing stick to one person at times Ben would chime in with “hit radio” #unnecessary
- Sheppard story was good but dragged on way too much, as we heard it both before and after the song
- Maybe too many anicdotes compared to the other groups
- Most of the show was quick and punchy
- Lead into and out of songs was quick – no dead air
- Intro and outro’s were both well prepared
Evaluation of other program: Mitch/Matt/Robbie/Cassie
- “Um” said a lot at the start (Mitch)
- Awkward banter at the start
- Good use of topic (Splendor)
- Voices are distinguishable
- Intro was not punchy and quick enough, too slow paced
- Would’ve cut Magic off a little earlier and spoke whilst the song plays out underneath
- A little more enthusiasm when speaking, if they are going after a commercial show?
- Rob sounds good and confident when speaking (has improved a lot)
- Love rave too long. Faster, faster, faster!
- A little awkward and dead air after this segment when Mitch & Matt come back and recap what was just said, not necessary, Rob’s just done this? “Did pretty good”.
- ALWAYS wait till you know the Mic’s are off before you speak (in songs etc.)
- Again; back announce over the song ending (adds professional feel)
- Song cut out (technical issue). A lot of dead air.
- Good recovery once it was sorted.
- Lack of enthusiasm, but good and relevant topic.
- Lead in to song (Ms Jackson) was delayed
- Consistent with song back announcing
- Awkward introduction into Curly Girly (audio too low)
- Cassie speaks well; fast paced and clear
- Brought up Splendor again, too much.
- Good outro, still speaking over music was affective.
SELF-EVALUATION: Gus, Logu, Magda, Bec and Brittany:
We think that our show was a great improvement from previous shows. We believe that we have the right mix between speech and music and an array of different content. With Magda and Logu both presenting, rather challengingly in a second language, it worked out quite well.
*Note the superb panel operation.
Things to improve on:
- Find new music.
- Recognise our audience.
- See if we can fill the whole hour without time leftover.
REVIEW OF: Dan C, Melike, Armando, Marcus, Phoebe
Introduction music was too loud/ Marcus’ microphone was too low. The relationship between the announcers could be improved.
- Armando and Dan C spoke clearly.
- Nice segments.